1 a small table fixed to a wall or designed to stand against a wall [syn: console table]
2 a scientific instrument consisting of displays and an input device that an operator can use to monitor and control a system (especially a computer system)
3 an ornamental scroll-shaped bracket (especially one used to support a wall fixture); "the bust of Napoleon stood on a console"
4 housing for electronic instruments, as radio or television [syn: cabinet] v : give moral or emotional strength to [syn: comfort, soothe, solace]
- A cabinet designed to stand on the floor.
- A cabinet that controls, instruments, and displays are mounted upon.
- The keyboard and screen of a computer.
- A storage tray or container mounted between the seats of an automobile.
- A video game console, especially as opposed to a handheld.
- An ornamental member jutting out of a wall to carry a superincumbent weight.
- To comfort (someone) in a time of grief, disappointment, etc.
- Czech: utěšit
Console may be:
In computing and video games:
console, a physical device to operate a computer
- Virtual console, a user interface for multiple computer consoles on one device
- Command line interface, the typical use of the computer console
- Terminal emulator, a program that substitutes for a computer console or computer terminal
- Win32 console, the terminal emulator of Microsoft Windows
- Console (video game CLI), a game command-line user interface element for personal computer games originated in Quake
game console, a specific device for playing video games
- Handheld game console, a specific lightweight and portable device for playing video games
- A secondary web browser window pop-up
- Organ console, which includes the keys, stops, and foot pedals for playing music.
- Mixing console, a device for controlling and combining audio signals
- Console (musician) (indie rock), a music project by Martin Gretschmann
- Tape recorder (also used for computer tape)
- Timpani console, a set of timpani.
Console may also refer to:
- Lighting control console, a device for controlling theatrical lighting
- A small cabinet, which gave its name to the computer consoles
- Comforting someone in distress
- Corbel, a support element in the architecture of a construction such as a balcony
- A type of home entertainment center, with various home electronics housed in a self-contained unit
- A storage compartment in the center of a bucket seating setup for modern-day automobiles
console in Czech: Konzole
console in German: Konsole
console in Spanish: Consola
console in French: Console
console in Italian: Console
console in Dutch: Console
console in Polish: Konsola
console in Portuguese: Consola
console in Russian: Консоль
animate, assuage, assure, bear up, buck up, cabinet, calm, chassis, cheer, cheer up, choir, claviature, comfort, commiserate, condole with, control desk, control panel, ease, echo, eighty-eight, encourage, express sympathy for, feel with, fingerboard, give comfort, graphic panel, great, grieve for, grieve with, hearten, housing, inspirit, ivories, jack field, keyboard, keys, manual, master control desk, mixer, organ manual, panelboard, pedals, piano keys, put at ease, radio, radio receiver, radio set, radio telescope, reassure, receiver, receiving set, relieve, set, set at ease, solace, solo, soothe, sorrow with, speak soothing words, swell, sympathize with, tranquilize, upraise, weep for, weep with, wireless, wireless set